Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Bought a new scale

I was debating on whether to get a scale or not after ridding myself of the one we had in AK. I hadn't weighed myself since we left the house in AK and I know I have lost some weight during the trip and all, because my clothes were fitting differently. It was driving me crazy not knowing how much though. So I broke down and got one at Target. It calculates your weight, Water (Hydration) Precentage and Body Fat Percentage. It's useful in determining whether the weight you are losing is fat and if you are increasing muscle.
So I got on it this morning and I weigh 223 exactly. It was a bit comforting to know that I have lost 12 pounds since the last time I weighed myself in AK. My BMI is 36, which means I am obese; my body fat percentage is 25.6%, not so comforting to know that since our body's weight is made up of anywhere from 55-75% water; and since excessive fat can mean increased dehydration because fat has less water than lean muscle, this in turn can hinder weight loss. So, I am obese and dehydrated. A great place to start.
Those of you who know me, know that I have spent the last five years working in a pool teaching water aerobics and swimming lessons so I am not necessarily looking forward to doing that again. It isn't working well anyway. I'm not a gym person either, I get totally insecure seeing all the buff people working out hardly breathing while I am sweating like a pig and puffing like I just smoked a pack of cigs (I don't smoke, quit on my birthday, 1999).
I have been walking the dogs here and there, but I need to be more consistent for all of our sakes. Yesterday, I discovered a path that's about 1.5miles around the neighborhood which I enjoyed and I think the dogs did too. I think I am going to start with once or twice a day because it takes about 25-30 minutes to walk the course and we do have to stop for them to sniff and potty and all the other miscellaneous stuff that dogs do. My biggest hurdle is controlling two 70lbs dogs who have the energy of 20. My shoulders feel like they are going to get torn out of the sockets and my hands and wrists get sore from gripping the leads. I have to say, they have gotten better but we need some more work. But I know I need to do it - it's part of the plan.

So that's my plan for exercise right now, walking and unloading 19,000lbs of household goods when they get here. Oh, and eat less junk and more vegetables.

1 comment:

Bradie Sparrow said...

Congrats on your weight loss! 12 lbs is a great start. It sounds like you are getting settled in.... bet you can't wait to dive into that pile of fabric!
Bradie

blah blah blah