Saturday, July 5, 2008

My Townie

Those who know me know that I have working on ways to reduce bulk (junk & waste), streamline my waistline, enhance my world and lessen my carbon footprint. Well, here's my next step. I got a bike so I can run the errands I need without having to drive my truck. We have analyzed the cost of replacing our SUV with a smaller more fuel efficient model and we have decided based on our traveling needs, it is cost prohibitive to replace a perfectly sound, working vehicle (it's not like someone will buy it and take it off the road) with yet another vehicle.

We will continue to make sure all maintenance is completed in a timely manner (changing filters, getting oil changes, tune ups and checking tire pressures) and consolidate our driving trips (ones that are necessary to drive distances) in order to reduce our gas consumption.

Okay, one could make the argument that buying a more fuel efficient car would be better for the environment but we are also trying to reduce bills and spending and it would take approximately 10.2 years to see the cost savings in purchasing a new vehicle. We can see more immediate savings by using our bikes and legs to make the short daily trips that make up the bulk of our vehicle usage.

One of the main reasons we decided to live on the installation was to save time, energy and money by living so close to work, shopping, library, and fitness facilities. So many people who work here live anywhere from 5-35 miles away and that takes a toll on the environment. Money was the deciding factor for us as I am not planning to work since we're not going to be here very long. It's cheaper to live closer to where you work and shop and yet so many Americans commute long distances for work.

My daughter's fiance for one commutes approximately 40 miles each way to work so the raise he receives has gotten lost in the increase in fuel expenses. My sister-in-law's hubby commutes almost 60 miles each way a day (he leaves for work at 5am to arrive by 7am) in Washington, DC traffic. She was commuting the same distance for a $14/hour job. It's insane! None of them drives with anyone else. How wasteful.

Brad and I have always tried to live close to his work, mostly to save us money (since I was a stay at home mom) and until I went back to work, we only had one vehichle. We are going back to one vehicle shortly. So what's all of this got to do with my Townie - well here she is!


The Art 21 - Purple Poem

She is a 21 speed, commuter bike with a rack and a basket for carrying items like my camera bag, groceries and library books. She's ergonomically designed to be able to sit with both feet flat on the surface of the road and when pedaling the rider (that's me) sits comfortable with the legs forard reducing the stress on the knees. Now the reason I got this bike is below:
Me with my Townie
The picture should at least say a thousand words. - 'nuff said.
This is Brad's bike - a road racer
Why didn't I get one? Look above to "Me and my Townie" - 'nuff said.

Some close ups of the beatiful poem and writing - it's truly inspiring - "is a choice you make from moment to moment" and another "We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give."

"dare to change"
my bike rack - I have a satchel that straps to the back to carry things like more books, a bigger camera, etc.
Possibly the view from whe I may fall of it in the future.

Just another cool shot!
My bell.

No comments:

blah blah blah