Thursday, July 31, 2008

Among Friends

Yesterday, we took our son Jimmy to the airport because he went to Alaska for a week before he goes to basic training. Yes, he joined the Army and the only reason I am not TOTALLY depressed about it is that he will be a firefighter, which in itself is a dangerous job, but one in which he will be able to help people.
So we took him to the airport and I helped him check in and everything and I give him hugs and kisses goodbye; yes, he still is affectionate with his mommy and daddy. Then Brad and I start on an adventure to get the lay of the land of Louisville. It was raining which made things even more fun. Our first stop was a quilt store called Among Friends which was bright, cheerful and the staff were friendly. But I was not inspired - I don't think it had anything to do with my experience there - I just was not inspired. It felt like the same old stuff. It could have been that I have been so desperate for a quilt store (first one in 2 months) that I had way too much expectation or maybe it was due to the fact that it's not accessible and I do not want a casual relationship with a quilt store. Who knows.
I did purchase a pattern and talked to Betty about a couple of events and I may try to make it there for one of them, but somehow, I doubt it. I am finding that I am lacking my usual outgoing energy to go out and meet new people and get involved. I think I am looking at this next several months as a roadside rest area rather than making a home here. It's not that I can't handle goodbyes, I seem pretty experienced at it; it's that I don't want to invest the energy to say hello right now. I am not depressed, although I do find myself a bit melancholy at times; it's that I feel like I have too much to do to get ready to move again and I need to conserve my strength and ration my energy for the next place.
Which in a weird way makes sense since the next stop will probably be the last one for a long while and I really want to get that one right. I have to say, I have NEVER ever had this experience before. I have always embraced the experience of moving and have always looked at the adventurousness of a new destination. Just not here yet.

No comments:

blah blah blah